Highly precise flood risk assessment tool for the whole of Australia
Australia FloodMap™ is a flood data set which covers every capital city at high resolution and the entire country at lower resolution. It provides the most complete view of flood risk available today, enabling underwriters, planners and others to make far better decisions and improve control over losses.
Drawing together the best available data
All capital cities, and approximately 60% of the population, have been modelled using high resolution LiDAR data accurate to ±15cm. The data includes river, tidal and surface water risk, all of which have been modelled rigorously while maintaining building-level precision.
A full range of return periods is available to suit different uses.
Delivered as flood maps or flood risk data sets
With Australia FloodMap™ you can quickly present flood risk scenarios to customers, brokers or underwriting teams visually. The flood maps can be supplied as pdfs, or delivered as GIS layers or flat files that can be integrated into your GIS-compatible system.
To make it even easier to use, individual buildings or locations can be automatically classified as high, medium or low risk according to your individual risk/exposure requirements.
Our team will advise you on how you can get the most from the data, and can support you with the integration.
Existing National Flood Model
Above: Australia FloodMap™ significantly outperformed the national flood model in a 2011 Brisbane flood validation test. Our model correctly predicted 95% of affected properties vs. just 37%. Read the full case study.
AustraliaFloodMap™ Technical Details
- Fluvial (River)
- Tidal (Sea/Estuary/Coastal)
- Flash (Pluvial/Surface Water)
- Depths: maximum depth experienced during flood, in metres
- Velocities: maximum velocity experienced during flood, in metres per second
Horizontal grid resolution
- Urban: 5 metres / Rural: 30 metres
- Urban: LiDAR (nominal vertical accuracy ±0.15m)
- Rural: SRTM-based
- Regional best practise – Australia Rainfall and Runoff Method
- Rational method augmented with unit hydrograph approach where gauges are available
Modelled return periods
20 years to 10,000 years (probable maximum)
- Full shallow water wave 2-d modelling (Flowroute-i™)
- Spatially variable land use (e.g. roughness/infiltration)
- Building-level precision
- GIS layers i.e. shapefiles or raster (floating-point/classified). The data can be integrated with most GIS-compatible systems and third-party underwriting platforms, including LexisNexis, Touchstone, SpatialKey, and ESRI.
- Appended to GNAF property-level database (i.e. the Australia FloodMap™ flood data can also be used to augment the NFID database so as to improve predictive power)
- Delivered as flat files to integrate within customers systems or online risk checking service (e.g. RiskPro)
- Physical/PDF maps also available
- Flexible Licensing depending on requirements
- Transactional (i.e. ‘per hit’) and territorial pricing (e.g. Queensland only) options also available