Using state of the art technology and the latest data for the highest possible accuracy
We use a variety of industry standard and proprietary technologies to produce our reports and assessments. At the heart of our offering is our proprietary Flowroute-i flood modelling software.
Ambiental’s Flowroute-i in a nutshell
- It's a highly versatile tool with a range of features used in any combination to asses flood risk
- Precision 2D+ hydraulic multisource modelling
- Models pluvial (surface), fluvial (river) and tidal water sources
- Accurately handles high-density urban environments
- Accounts for drainage and flood defences
- Accounts for ground roughness and infiltration
- Can predict to individual property level
Flowroute-i is our own flood modelling software. Developed in collaboration with scientists at Cambridge University, we use it to develop our national and local flood models, which we regularly validate against real flood events. It’s an exceptionally flexible, powerful, and easy to use modelling platform that can predict flood risk with 85% accuracy.
Designed to handle complex urban environments
Flowroute-i was designed specifically to simulate river and floodplain dynamics in complex urban and rural areas, as well as in mountainous regions. It models the complex interaction of pluvial (surface), fluvial (river) and tidal water sources, considering drainage, infiltration and groundwater levels.
Simulating events with outflows and flood defences
Using Flowroute-i we can also model what might happen if flood defences are breached, pipes burst or sewers overflow, and what could happen if water is pumped out of the area or escapes at a watershed point. This makes our modelling exceptionally flexible and realistic, and gives our clients a far more precise and detailed understanding of the risks.
Giving an accurate prediction of depth and velocity
Flowroute-i treats a floodplain as a grid of cells, with flow occurring between edge-connected cells at each time step. This offers an excellent dynamic picture of a flooding event, as well as highly accurate maximum depth and velocity at all points within the study area.
We continually optimise Flowroute-i to reduce processing times and make the most of modern computing power. Today it can be run in a distributed or cloud computing environment, and can simulate flood flows across hundreds of millions of cell domains in parallel.
Other technical solutions
As well as our own independent modelling software, we also use a range of industry-leading applications, including TuFlow, Flood Modeller and MicroDrainage (XP Solutions). With these key solutions, our experts can support our clients’ needs from flood risk through to engineered solutions for surface water drainage.
Benefits of our technology
- Bespoke Flowroute-i flood modelling software is unique to Ambiental
- Used and trusted by local authorities, governments, NGOs and international businesses
- Uses historical data, validated with live events, to predict potential flooding outcomes with 85% accuracy